Lingual braces are fully customized braces, created with advanced dental scanning and 3D technology. Not every orthodontist offers lingual braces. We at Sphinx Orthodontics assess, customize, apply, and adjust lingual braces.
Why lingual braces?
Lingual braces are the most attractive option for patients who desire total discretion. Lingual braces offer benefits to musicians who play a wind instrument; for athletes who play contact sports; for models and actors, and anyone in the public eye who wants to straighten their teeth and needs the most inconspicuous option.
They may provide the ultimate solution for patients who desire to straighten only the six upper and lower teeth. Lingual braces are the best option to maintain your self-confidence. They are for people of all ages.
How do lingual braces work?
The principle behind all types of braces is to move teeth to better position in the mouth, and to straighten the teeth for a more pleasing smile and better oral health and function.
Lingual braces work just like traditional metal braces. Lingual braces are made of stainless steel and sometimes titanium. They provide the same efficacy. The difference is that metal braces are made with stock parts, while lingual braces are completely customized to your teeth, your specific needs and goals.
Lingual braces require the same parts as traditional metal braces including brackets, wires and bands, and rubber bands that may be needed to move the teeth into proper alignment.
How are they made?
Lingual braces are made using CAD/CAM technology and 3D imaging. Digital impressions are created for the patient, and special software designs the braces. Lingual braces are customized to your specific needs and goals.
Once created they are applied to the back of the teeth with special dental cement.
- Lingual braces have similar issues as traditional metal braces including affecting speech for the first few weeks until you adapt.
- There are certain food restrictions and important cleaning instructions that require strict adherence. But because the brackets are on the back of the teeth, when food gets stuck, it is usually in the back of the teeth and won’t be obvious to those around you!
- Placement and adjustments require precise procedures., and appointments can take longer because of the backs of your teeth are more difficult to access.
- They sit close to your tongue which can initially cause a sore tongue.
- Your treatment plan is based on your specific needs. Typically, patients wear them for between one and three years. This is followed by the use of a retainer to maintain your results.
- Lingual braces cost more because everything is customized for your mouth, and your specific needs.
- Traditional braces can cause white spots on the teeth when the braces are removed. With lingual braces any potential white spots will be hidden on the back of your teeth.
- Not all patients are good candidates.
Get a professional diagnosis and learn about all your treatment options for straight, well aligned teeth and a healthy, beautiful smile, contact Sphinx Orthodontics in Edmonton, AB.